Mrs. Mustard is here to share one of my FAVOURITE mom recipes. I call it a mom recipe because it originated as an easy dinner to make and quickly evolved into a faithful standby.
Zesty Tortellini al Forno
- 1 lb fresh tortellini (I use cheese filled)
- 3 bell peppers of your choice, cut up into chunks. I like using red, green and yellow.
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1 lb fresh white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb hot Italian sausages
- 1 jar (940 mL) of your favourite spaghetti sauce. I’ve used all kinds, and it really doesn’t affect the overall taste of the dish
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped up
- dash cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
NOW, to put it all together:
- Prepare the tortellini as indicated on the package. Usually they boil for 8 minutes to reach al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Brown the sausages in a skillet. Remove from heat and slice into rounds.
- Sauté the vegetables and garlic in a large pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Sprinkle the oregano, parsley, Mrs. Dash, salt and peppers on the vegetables as they cook.
- Add the sausage pieces to the vegetables and add the spaghetti sauce. Stir and heat through.
- Add the tortellini to the veggie and sausage mixture. Stir to coat the tortellini well.
- Place in a 4 qt casserole dish. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
EAT AND ENJOY! Serves 6 (depending on how much you eat).
My son (11 months) loves this dish! I’ve puréed it for him as well as cut it up into bite-sized chunks for him to eat as finger food. What’s nice about it is that you hit all 4 food groups in one yummy dish.
As an added note to you vegetarians out there, I originally created this dish without the sausages, so just omit those and go for it!
You could also substitute ground sausage meat instead of using actual sausages, but I quite enjoy the little rounds of sausage on my plate.